Thursday, April 21, 2016

Peanut butter Milkshake and coffee

Staring down at the light wooden well varnished table, the coffee aroma finding it's way into my nasal cavity, and rain beating down on the zinc roof.  I couldn't help but think of how she always makes me smile. I know I've been in love, I know I've uttered words that made no sense; yet girls felt weak at the knees.

She was different - I felt love... I didn't just think it or feel lust believing it was love. It wasn't a physical attraction - I didn't want to pull her clothes off and feel her warm breath on my skin... I just wanted to be there for her when she needed me the most. It was the real deal. I loved her, I wanted to tell her, I wanted to look after her, make her happy, make her feel a love no one could ever show her again... I just loved her with all my heart.

I fell victim to my love for her... when I wasn't with her, I couldn't stop thinking of her... when I was with her, I couldn't stop looking at her. It was unusual for me; me of all people to feel they way I did. I don't tell people I love them - I wanted to tell the whole world I loved her and only her.

Sitting here; the now empty coffee cup, sun breaking through the clouds and voices from conversations lost to my train of thought - I miss her. I feel lost most days, in fact most of my life has been like hide and seek. She always somehow found me... not someone protecting himself from the world - just me. She brought out the best in me, helped me find a person that hasn't been around for many years. I miss her.

The cold creeps through the door and I feel it battling it's way through my jacket. I hear the faint voices outside saying "goodbye"... truly ironic when I think about how the love I felt was never reciprocated. How I had to put that love in a box; it fought it's way out like a child with intense claustrophobia - followed by repercussions, pushing her further away. It felt like sinking sand... I had no control - I always had control...?

I realized I loved her so much that I needed her as a friend. I wanted her happy even if I was hurting, just play hide and seek... I was good at it after all those years.

The restaurant started welcoming people for dinner... my thoughts of her kept me locked up and unable to see time. My bill; waiting for me like a mother waiting for a child at his first party. I knew she wouldn't come but hope and optimism is something she taught me... she never taught me the disappointment you feel - if hope failed and optimism was defeated in battle.

Peanut butter Milkshake R42
Coffee                                   R23

Total:                                    R65



No comments:

Post a Comment